Source: Town Cryer #8
Author: Gavin Thorpe
Broheim notes: Sneaky attackers must kill the leader of the startled defenders. Defenders' leader must escape from table. A word of warning, if you’re using Dwarfs give them the Relentless (i.e. can run within 8” of enemy) rule or the scenario won’t work.
One warband has spent several days seeking out the encampment of their rivals. Rather than attacking openly, they have lain in wait to ambush their prey just as they are leaving – attacking when they least expect it!
Set up the terrain as normal.
Each player rolls a dice. The player who score the highest is the attacker.
The defender sets up his warband in his deployment zone. His leader must be the model furthest away from any table edge. He must be at least 12” away from any table edge.
The attacker sets up his warband anywhere on the table, except that a model cannot be set-up within its charge reach of an enemy.
starting the game
The attacking warband goes first.
The defenders are taken completely by surprise. At the start of the defenders’ first turn, roll a dice for each model. If the score is equal to or under their Initiative, they may act normally. If the score is more than their Initiative then they can do nothing in the first turn. A roll of a 6 always fails.
Defending models can escape by moving off their table edge. Defenders who move off the table cannot return.
ending the game
The game ends when one warband fails its rout test or the defending leader escapes off the table. If one side routs then it has lost. If the defender’s leader manages to escape, the defenders win, if he is taken out of action then the attackers win.
- +1 Taking out a leader. An attacking model which takes out the defending leader earns one extra experience.
- +1 Fame for the Winner. The winning warband gains +1 Fame.
Note that Fame is not a standard campaign metric. This could be left over from a pre-edit version of the game.
- +1 Survives. If a Hero or a Henchman group survives the battle they gain +1 Experience.
- +1 Winning Leader. The leader of the winning warband gains +1 Experience.
- +1 Per Enemy Out of Action. A Hero earns +1 Experience for each enemy he puts out of action.
- D6 shards of Wyrdstone for the loser.
- D6+1 shards of Wyrdstone for the winner.